Software engineering ethics are a subset of engineering ethics and professional ethics applied to the design and development of software systems.
The ACM/IEEE-CS Code of Ethics and Professional Practice have a standard for teaching and practicing software engineering. In this code they have eight important principles witch are Public, Cient and employer, Product, Judgment, Management, Profession, Colleagues, Self.
in the sort version of the Code of Ethics these are the definition for the principles.
1. PUBLIC – Software engineers shall act consistently with the public interest. (You accept the full responsibility of the work that you do, You have to be honest)
2. CLIENT AND EMPLOYER – Software engineers shall act in a manner that is in the best interests of their client and employer consistent with the public interest. (You have to talk with your client and employer, do not cheat, because you make a bad reputation)
3. PRODUCT – Software engineers shall ensure that their products and related modifications meet the highest professional standards possible. (Don’t copy the code of someone else, don’t lie about it)
4. JUDGMENT – Software engineers shall maintain integrity and independence in their professional judgment.(selects what is best and do not go above others)
5. MANAGEMENT – Software engineering managers and leaders shall subscribe to and promote an ethical approach to the management of software development and maintenance.(If you are the leader of the develop team, be the ombudsman, do not lie, cheat, only be a good person)
6. PROFESSION – Software engineers shall advance the integrity and reputation of the profession consistent with the public interest. (Don’t create problems for the community, because the other people will think that the programmers are bad and don’t work)
7. COLLEAGUES – Software engineers shall be fair to and supportive of their
8. SELF – Software engineers shall participate in lifelong learning regarding the practice of their profession and shall promote an ethical approach to the practice of the profession.(Always do your best for you and for the others, but follow this Code of Ethics)
ACM Code of Ethics: http://www.acm.org/about/se-code#short