--Originally published at That Class Blog
Today we officially delivered the project at the Engineering Expo. There we presented our project to some judges and fellow students. Well, usually the explanation was for the judges, and the students would come just to play the game and try to get through the last level and put their playertag in the leaderboard.
I have to say that my score will be (Or already has been) overcomed by anyone who has a just a fraction of eyes to fingers reaction. What I’m trying to say is that even after one semester of development, I’m so bad at the game… After more than 1 hour playing level 4, I surrendered, and assumed that I could go trought all the levels in 2 hours, more or less, and then I pushed my score to the DB, manually. I think I deserved to be in the leaderboard of the game, even if I couldn’t put it there usiang legal abilities.
But now, onto my kinda semester retrospective.
I feel that overall this smesterI learned a lot about WEB development using NodeJS. In my WEB Development class project I learned about front-end frameworks, back-end development and deployment, different ways to make requests to de server, implementation of MariaDB queries on the server’s routes and the delivery of JWT and local storage.
What I learned in that class was useful for me, so that I shouldn’t need to worry about how to do all of the back-end development on this project, and instead focus on enjoying more the project, setting up Mongoose and MongoDB and designing server tests. I found out that I could really have fun doing those three new things because I didn’t worry at all for the rest of the stuff.
Mongoose and MongoDB were a first time experience for me. From designing the connection “raw” to mLab, to implementing Mongoose for testing and quality of data, to migrating to MongoDB Atlas because the Tec wouldn’t let us use mLab (Because reasons?), and finally updating and designing new schemas and models. It was fun, because it was new and it felt that I trully had time to do some research so I could write some clean and functional code.
And about testing, that was still fun, but it got difficult at sometimes. I’m proud beacuse I pushed myself on designing more specific tests, with more functionalities (such as hooks and a dummy DB, so the real DB wouldn’t be polluted). After I thought that i couldn’t make the API requests tests more complicated, I decided to use the same testing framework to create a scrip for level testing and designing. And that was really complicated, to change a JSON file and see the changes on the DB without restarting the server.
At the end, I think we all delivered what we promised. And I think that every member of the team did their best to do their assigned tasks but also helping each other.
Okay, so now it’s the time where I extremely regret the moment I decided to procastinate the publication of both the posts on week 10. Supposedly at the end of the semester I have to had delivered a grand total of 30 blog entries, 2 per week. And I currently have 26 blogs. That means that if my “I’m sorry entry” (This final review is my “I’m sorry”) could be exchanged for those two missed blogs I was talking about, I would have credited 28 blog entries… I don’t know how could I achieved 30. Maybe Ken took into account the Spring vacations (Semana Santa). But if it’s another reason, I have nothing to ammend it, so I will accept the consecuences.
Still… It was a great semester, with a great project and a nice team.