--Originally published at lazynesstothemax
A very important part of our education in Information Security for us up and coming security experts is to learn about security countermeasures. A countermeasure is an action, process, device or system that can prevent or mitigate the effects of threats to our systems.
Countermeasures can take form of hardware, software or procedures. In these sense lets just list some possible countermeasures one can take against those meany mean threats out there in the world:
In the software department we can see countermeasure as:
- personal firewalls
- application firewalls
- anti-virus software
- aiuda esto se va a descontrolar
- pop-up blockers
- spyware detection/removal programs
In the hardware department, apart from preventing the IP address of all users visible in the internet, we can also do:
- biometrics authentication systems
- physical restriction of access to computers and peripherals
- intrusion detectors
And finally procedures we can take countermeasures as.
- frequent deletion of stored cookies and temporary files from Web browsers
- regular scanning for viruses and other malware
- regular installation of updates and patches for operating systems
- refusing to click on links that appear within e-mail message
- refraining from opening e-mail messages
- staying away from questionable web sites
- regularly baking up data on external media.
There are also many particular scenarios that need special treatment, some of them are:
- Encrypting data that is not used and is just resting in our databases for future use.
- Administrate access management with different powers in different accounts as in manager and employee and such.
- We can encrypt the network layer in order to prevent unwanted queries of our information
- We have to frequently patch our existing programs in order to fix flaws in our systems
There are also many things that we may have missed, but for that we need to keep studying and researching the ever
This post was made in collaboration with Rodolfo Padró from https://rodolfopadro.wordpress.com/ Check out his other post about Security and other stuff hehe xd