We are in exam 13 and I will be away this week at a conference. You will still have much to work on and some of you have catch-up work to do. Remember that there are practical exercises in the previous week posts to check out. Please be sure to be pushing yourself as well as keep in contact with myself and your colleagues via Twitter, Slack and all other methods!
- No class on Wed/Thurs November 2/3. Ken will be at the The 13th Annual Open Education Conference. You can see my schedule here, follow along on Twitter with #OpenEd16 and I will be blogging about what I did that week for the conference.
- Classes as usual November 9th and 10th.
- No classWed/Thurs November 16/17. Ken will be a keynote at the FlipCon Adelaide Conference in Australia.
Week 13 Activities
Open Source was not a specific topic for the course but I think we should be looking at this based on the recent events as well as the fact that open source is the core of many technologies we use. Please read the following and comment on them. Note the Cathedral and the Bazaar is *not* short but you can find it in Spanish if you like. The audio clip is nice to check out as well.
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar
- Hacker News – Dirty COW. Also check out the email from Linus Torvalds with respect to this old bug.
Week 13 Discussion
I would like each of you to record your thoughts in audio format about Open Source in general and recent security flaws related to open source technologies. Upload your audio to SoundCloud (or similar) and embed that in your blog post on the topic. I think it would be useful to pick out some recordings of class mates to listen to and comment on.
Feature Image Credit
Week 13 Open Source by Bauer Ken is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.